Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chapter 13: Disguise out of the blue

I did all the nagging, pleading and annoying things available on Earth, but the both of them won’t tell me anything besides “trust me.” I’m getting sick of those two words. The three of us were eating Cheerio’s, watching a movie titled, “Christmas Ghosts” on the widescreen television – yeah, I know. Corny title. On my right, Imah suddenly smacked her palm to her forehead, “How could I forget?! Oh my God.”

Me and Sky were both startled. “What?” he asked. Imah was hesitant. 

“When I was digging stuff through my PC back, uhm, back you know where,” she said, glancing in my direction. They won’t even give me that small irrelevant detail! “I’m really sorry to tell you this right now; the timing is so rotten. But I found something… bad. Sky,” she said, turning to him. “Someone’s giving them information on the inside. Someone close to her.” 

No, no. That is not true.

Sky looked livid. “You should have told me sooner!”

“I’m sorry! It wasn’t my fault! All of us were busy right after you blew your cover and went shooting at the mall! And – and – ” she looked at loss for words as she pleaded. Dash whimpered on the corner and used his paw to turn off the television, trotting back to the bedroom. I sat, paralyzed.

Sky’s still angry. Very angry. He looked really scary and different.

“You could have killed Ryne!”

“I’m sorry! I – ”

Then I intervened. Imah looked close to tears.

“Calm down, Sky.” I touched his shoulder. “It wasn’t her fault.” He turned away from Imah and paced in front of us. Then he stopped in front of her. “Who?”

“I don’t know.” she said, frustrated. It was obvious that she doesn’t like not knowing things. “All possible leads I traced ended up as a fraud.”

He continued pacing then something beeped. It came from Imah’s handbag. She sighed.

“I have to go.” She turned to Sky. “You know how to contact me.” He nodded then she came over and hugged me. “I’ll see you around, Ryne.” After that, she went out. 

Sky kicked a chair.

“They could’ve killed you!” he raged.

“Calm down, okay?! At least we can be more careful now – ”

“Careful?! Do you have any idea what this means?!”

“Don’t talk to me like that! Of course, I know – ”

“It could be your boyfriend!” he roared.

I fell silent, dumbstruck. No. Carsh won’t do that. Sky gulped in several breaths, trying to calm down.

That’s stupid. I told myself. It’s impossible. Carsh loves me.

Sky turned to me. “I’m sorry, Ryne. I didn’t mean to shout at you like that.” I barely heard him. I was too wrapped up in my thoughts. Carsh? That’s insane. No one in their right mind would believe that – 

Sky shook me. “Ryne? Ryne, are you okay? Damn, I knew I shouldn’t have lashed out on you. I am so sorry.” He sounded ashamed of himself.

“I’m okay.” I whispered.

“No, you’re not.” He said with his eyes full of concern. I looked at him then. He was biting down hard on his lower lip. “I’ll make it up to you. I promise. I really didn’t mean to say that.” He hesitated for a second and hugged me awkwardly. I put my face on the crook of his neck and didn’t pull away. It was several seconds more before I pulled away. I smiled a little.

“That’s about the most awkward hug in my life.” he laughed lightly at that.

I looked at his eyes. They’re like real emeralds, I thought. So beautiful. It seemed, at that instant, that he was thinking exactly the same thing, then he looked down. He cleared his throat. 

“Feel better now?” he asked.

“Yes. Thank you.” I didn’t know what came over me. Sky? Beautiful? The world has corrupted my brain. “I know what to do,” he said, sudden inspiration lighting up his eyes.

“Shopping.”

A smile started forming on my lips.

There was a catch. I had to wear a dress. Dress. I never ever wear those things.
“You have to. We need to use disguises so they won’t find us. And they know a lot of things about you – including your dislike of dresses, apparently.” I knew who “they” were without asking. Sky looked sternly at me. “So which is it? Shopping safe and sound, or shopping while running away from people who wants us both dead – ”

“Okay! I’m wearing the bloody thing alright?”

So now I found myself in the huge bathroom of the suite, looking at myself at the huge mirror while wearing a yellow sundress.

It’s actually not that bad, I thought. Yellow makes me look good; it’s nice with my skin colour. And the natural curls at the tip of my hair add to the effect. I can’t believe it. I never thought it would feel good to wear dresses. And my bangs don’t look horrible at all. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I wore the flat sandals Sky bought me earlier, saying that “whit looks good on me.”

They’re still sandals, white or not. I actually feel cheerful. Oh God.

“Ryne?” Sky knocked on the bathroom door. “Are you alive?”

“No, I’m flushing myself down the toilet.” I replied sarcastically. I heard him laughing and I called out, “I’m coming.” Then I opened the door.

Sky looks… amazing.

I think even “amazing” is an understatement. He’s wearing whit shoes like he chose the colour so it would match my sandals. Sneaky. He’s wearing jeans and red checkered polo shirt which has sleeves that reached his elbows. His glasses completed the indescribable picture. He smiled. “I knew you find me attractive.” he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes at him. “You choose nice clothes, that’s all.” I lied, of course. He had natural good looks. He looked at me then. “Should I lie like you and say that you have a pretty dress, or tell the truth that you make the dress pretty?” My face flushed crimson.
           “He laughed at me. “Come on sis. We have a lot to buy.” he grabbed my hand and led the way out of the suite. I whistled to call Dash. Once all three of us were out of the room, Sky locked the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment