Monday, March 19, 2012

Chapter 36: A shot in the dark

Chapter 36: A shot in the dark (Wattpad)

We spent the rest of the night together, absorbed in each other. We played a horror movie – complete with popcorn and with the lights shut off. It was the best night of my life, and probably afterlife. After a while though, we lost interest in the film and we fooled around like little kids. It was absolutely about nonsensical things and I love it.

“Oh, shut the fuck up.” I giggled. We were sprawled on the carpet by this time, him lying on his back and I was supporting my upper body with my elbows, almost facedown. We were just down playing tag – yes, tag – and I’m bloody exhausted. He looked up to me, eyes sparkling. 

“And do you know what happened after that?” he said as his hands tickled the sensitive spot on my neck. I laughed until I couldn’t breathe. “I don’t want to know!” I laughed still
.
He laughed along with me and sat up. He grabbed my hands and pulled me up with him. “Do you know it’s already 2am?” he smiled at me and I smiled back. I said, “Oh really? Well, that’s just shocking.” I laughingly answered. 

Then sudden inspiration lighted up his eyes. I knew that look instantly. Before he could open his mouth, I interrupted him, “Yes, what are you planning?”

He laughed and pulled me closer. “Have you ever danced?” he said then continued, “If I recall correctly, I haven’t danced with you yet.” What? I gaped at him as if I’d never heard that word before. I don’t dance! How does he expect me to? Uhhm, Sky?I kind of have an aversion to dancing because on third grade, I kind of…” He grasped y hands as he laughed. “Let me guess, you punched someone?”

I pushed him and he laughed harder. “I did not. I sort of shouted at him a bit – ”

“Shouted a bit. Of course.”

I glared at him but he kissed my cheek so – plan at annoyance failed. I ended up with my arms around his waist and his arms around me. I feel so safe.

“The guy was asking for it. He said I couldn’t dance to save my life, so yeah…” He chuckled. “So you err, how do you say that – oh. So you trash talked him? That’s incredibly heroic.” He kissed my forehead and continued speaking, “So, will you dance with me?”

“What kind of dancing, exactly?”

He winked and turned to the DVD player, paying no attention to the screaming woman on the screen from the horror movie and he set the function to “radio.”

Melodic music played through the speakers, softly filling the room with sounds. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” I protested, half-laughing. He just hummed along to the song and held my right hand. His other hand held my back. I laughed aloud. This is just crazy. I placed my hand on his shoulder and he slowly twirled us side to side. 

“I won’t give up on us

Even if the skies get rough…”

I put my head against his chest and tried to calm my conflicted emotions bubbling inside me. Of all the people to fall into this situation, I came along. I listened to his humming and found myself falling harder. He suddenly said, 

“I never knew I could be so romantic.”

I chuckled softly. Me neither. I smiled up to him and he slowly leaned in. But then the chandelier behind us flickered, and the music stuttered.

Like a mini-second brownout.

I turned to him, eyebrows raised. “Did you feel that?” he smiled like it was nothing and just nodded yes. And then the lights shut down completely and the music died.
Yes. Brownout.

It was absolute darkness and I can still feel Sky and I held him tighter. “At least we had our warning.” I heard him sigh. “Well, this is just perfect. Maybe we – ” the telephone rang from across the room and I jumped, startled. Who in the world would call at this time, anyway? I heard Sky say to me, “That must be the hotel manager or something – ”

“Maybe they want your number – ” 

“Maybe they’re checking on their people because of the brownout.” he kissed my hands and let me towards the ringing phone. He picked it up. 

“Yes?”

I heard a muffled voice from the other line. A male voice. I shrugged it off. At least no clingy females. 

“Yes, me and my sister are fine. Thanks for the trouble, sir.” There was a short pause and then, “Bye. Thank you again.” Then I heard him put the phone back down and he faced me. Well, sort of. It’s bloody dark! 

I said, “Maybe it’s our cue to go to sleep.”

“As much as I want to, I probably can’t.” then in the darkness, I saw a distinct white. He was smiling. I laughed, “Even in the dark, you smile just the same.” I felt him hug me right then and he responded, “Likewise.”

I can’t seem to stop the grin on my face. I’ve never been this happy before. If truth be told, I could stay here forever, but after a while, he said, “Shall I carry you to the bedroom, my princess?”

I laughed. “I can manage, but I’ll probably fall on my own feet.” When I said that, he pulled away from the hug and turned me around by the shoulders, guiding me through the living room. I said, “What if I bump into something or – ”

“If that happens,” he laughing answered, “you can get the baptized handcuffs and hold me prisoner.” I stopped in my tracks. Wow. “Really?”

“Figuratively, I’m already your prisoner, but yes.”

I laughed again. “I guess I should bump myself intentionally, then.” he gripped my upper arms from behind and started raining kisses on me. I can’t stop giggling and I relaxed completely into his body frame. Then he said, “Forget about the bumping issue. Let’s just go to the bedroom and – ” he never finished the sentence because I gave him a quick kiss and ran away from him. 

And I bumped myself on the low table. 

“Ow! That hurt!”
 
“My love, you must never run away from me.” Then his arms snaked around my waist from behind, putting his chin on my shoulder. I groaned. “That really hurt.” He kissed the area behind my ear right then and guided me to the sofa, pushing me gently to sit. 

“Stay here.”

“Where are you going?”

He caressed my hand before letting them go. I heard his footsteps. “I’m just going to find light.” I tapped my feet impatiently as I heard him rummaging through the drawer. Five seconds later, I heard the striking of a match and the room filled with an orange light from a fore in Sky’s direction. 

“Candles?”

He grinned in satisfaction. “It’s just a brain blast.” He lit seven of them and started to scatter them around the living room. I stood up to help him and once we’re all set, we sat back on the couch.

Sky put an arm around me. He said, “I want to make sure Ryne, that you know that this isn’t just a shot in the dark. I’m serious.”

I pursed my lips. “I know.” I replied, voice hushed. He continued speaking, “Do you – ”

“Can we talk about something else? I interrupted, looking at the flickering flame of the candle on top of the low table. If I’m being honest with myself, talking about the future scares me. It’s easier to think about things within this hotel room, closed off from the outside world.

“Just this once, Ryne. Please.” He said. I sighed and closed my eyes shut. “Go on.”

“Remember that time when I told you that you’d hate me?” my eyes flashed open and I bit my lip. This is fucking messed up. “Do we really have to go into that?”

He paused before replying. “I have to. You’ll really hate me, and I’m just scared if you find out and…” 

“Find out what?”

He sighed from the very depths of his soul and replied, “That’s the problem. You can’t know. But you will sooner or later and I don’t want you distancing yourself away from me because I…I…”

I sighed. It is fucking messed up. “Why don’t you just tell me now?” I faced him and gripped his hands. “You’re worrying me.”

He smiled sadly – bitterly. “If I tell you, you’ll hate me even more.” My eyebrows drew together and I shifted closer to him. “I promise I won’t hate you. I promise. How could I?”

“You don’t understand.” He said, shaking his head slightly. “And by the way,” he looked up into my eyes. “Mr. Mafia told me not to fall in love you.” He smiled gently. “But to hell with it.” He came closer to me and kissed me once again. I kissed him back and felt myself smiling.

             But then next day happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment