Friday, March 16, 2012

Chapter 25: Evil genius

Chapter 25: Evil genius (Wattpad)

Part I: 

In a blink of an eye, Sky was right next to me and pushed the door closed. I guessed as much. He was staring at me with wide eyes. “Holy mother of Go – ”

“Our birthday? Very subtle, Sky.” 

His jaw dropped. “How did you – ” I laughed. “Not part of the deal.” I practically flew over to the couch and retrieved the package. He just shook his head and turned back to the device – changing the pass, I thought smugly. I waited until he was done before I opened it. 

“A snow globe?”

He sat on the couch heavily. “No, Ryne. A notebook.” I threw a pillow at him lightly while he chuckled. It was a pretty snow globe. There was a castle in the middle and the snow was fluffing up and down and returning to the base of the globe. And the I saw letters on the foundation of the castle, right in front of it.

“My name?” I exclaimed disbelievingly. Maybe I had too much ice cream. “I’ll bet there are many more Rynes around the world, but yeah, that is you.” he responded. The four letters of my name were in an elegant italic font and it was colour blue.

Sky blue.

I raised an eyebrow at him. “The colour?” he matched my tone and raised his own eyebrow. “Nice, isn’t it?” I rolled my eyes at him, though I can’t help but smile. “Thank you.” He shrugged it off with a wink. “It was supposed to be a surprise, but you being you, I can’t do anything.” I laughed. “I’ll take that as a compliment.” I paused before saying, “I thought it was for Xavia.”

 He turned to me, a million-dollar smile on his face. “Don’t worry. You still have a place in my heart.” I threw the pillow at him, but he caught it, laughing. Ha ha. He can laugh all he wants, darn it. He spoke again, 

“Xav’s more like a sister to me – ”

“Crush? Nice going, Sherlock – ”

“I’m serious! Trust me when I say that I know if it’s love.”

Samantha. 

Should I ask him? Five days ago, I wouldn’t have hesitated. But if you look at the grand picture, Sky has done nothing but to make me feel comfortable as possible in spite of this bizarre situation. 

I looked at his green eyes unsuspectingly, seeing in my mind’s eye how it would darken and look in deep agony when I brought the subject up. Damn this.

No, it wasn’t worth it.


Part II: 

I got out of the shower, feeling stress-free and contented. Well, almost. I was drying my hair, observing Sky put on his socks and shoes. The guy looks like he’s going to attend a bloody prom! He’s jaw-dropping. “Err, where are you going?” he grinned. “We’re going out.” Oh, that’s funny.

“We?”

“Actually, we’re moving places – we can’t stay on one place for too long, it’s not –  ”

Safe, I know. Should I dress up?”

He shrugged, standing up. “If you like. You don’t have to though. But this,” he waved to his turtleneck attire that emphasized his masculine body. “This is necessary.” This guy’s ego is beyond salvation. I replied to him in a sweet mocking voice, “Oh, of course it is, Sky honey. We should make another receptionist fall in love with you, don’t we?” He actually grimaced. I laughed, “It was a joke!” He chuckled and said, “Yeah, I know. I just need some nice clothes to work wonders with the feminine population.” I can’t help rolling my eyes but I can see what he means. 

“I’m going to go get Zombie.” he started for the door. This guy is definitely driving me up the wall. I never knew we had a zombie.

“Sky, I think you had too much enchiladas. What the hell is with zombies?”

“Huh? I meant your dog.”

Zombie? He’d better be joking.

“How the hell did you get the word ‘zombie’ from ‘Dash’?” 

He just shook his head. “Nah, I’m too lazy to explain.” Then he went out of the room. I just gritted my teeth in annoyance, then I turned to the set of clothes spread over the bed. There wasn’t much choice and – 

“I have another set of clothes on my backpack!” Sky called out before I heard the clicking of a closed door and the beep of the installed device. Yes, always the gentleman. I turned to his backpack and dumped the contents into the bed. I thought that they were a mess, but I saw the neatly arranged pile become a real mess as I unceremoniously tipped the backpack upside down. Oops.

Later, I thought. I searched the pile for something suitable and found a dress.
Lord, help me. I would never spare a dress a second glance before – Sky must’ve been drugging me. I shook the crazy idea from my mind and spread out the apparel. The design included a below the knee lavender colour. Just plain colour. And only one strap.

One. Strap.

Yes, it was a thick one but dude, not cool. I debated for full five minutes, staring at the five-centimetre thing. Then I thought of Sky’s face when he sees me in this outfit. My pursed lips slowly morphed into a smile.


            Sky’s making his way towards the door – I can already hear the beeping from his high-tech skirmish to open the door from the outside. I almost cowered and considered abandoning this childish plan but the doorknob started twisting. Like it’s signalling the start of my doom.

Calm down, moron.

I heard Sky say before he was even inside the suite, “Ryne, your dog can sure sleep a lot…” his voice trailed away as he saw me. I looked in his surprised green eyes and raised both eyebrows. 

“This thing had only one strap, but it’s worth it.” I heard familiar barking, then I saw Dash bounding up to me. My eyes seemed to pop out of their sockets with joy. “Dashy! I missed you too, boy!” I hugged him as I ruffled his soft fur. I looked at Sky – who, I’m pleased to say, was rather eyeing me like he was seeing me in a different light. 

Maybe he was. 

“Err,” I started, “you look – ”

“You look beautiful.”

My heart skipped a beat and I tried to ignore it – as well as the butterflies in my stomach when he started to smile. He said this before, right? It doesn’t make any difference this time, I told myself firmly. I just put on a dress for God’s sake, like the other day. And I had time to tame my unruly hair for a bit and arranged the clothes back to Sky’s backpack. That’s all.
“Thank you.” I replied timidly. Some evil genius I was. My plan backfired. Hard. He smiled still. 

           “Let’s pack and hit the road.”

No comments:

Post a Comment