Monday, March 19, 2012

Chapter 40: Time too soon

Chapter 40: Time too soon (Wattpad)

Part I:

The instant I said those words, Sky reached out to my shoulder and pulled me towards him. I barely heard what my own grandfather was saying on the other line as his lips covered mine.

I kissed him back, one hand going up to grip his hair and kept him in place.

“Ryne?”

I pulled away from Sky for a moment, remembering how to breathe as I answered the phone, with Sky still nuzzling my neck.

“Yes?” I responded breathlessly.

“If what you’re saying is true – ”

“It is.”

“But…Ryne, my dear – ”

“Do you want to talk to him?” I looked into the deep, green, glazed eyes of Sky’s as I waited for an answer. 

“Yes. Give him the phone.” he said in a curt voice. Uh-oh. Without hesitation, I did. Sky straightened but his hand continued to caress my cheek.

“Sir.”

-

He held breath as he listened, waiting for the voice to come out on the phone and to his ear.

“Just what the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

“Sir – ”

“I told you, La Brea. For God’s sake. Is a simple instruction so hard to do?”

“I never intended for this to happen, sir. Believe me – ”

“I ordered you to bring my only granddaughter to me and – ” 

“I will, sir. I promise I will.”

“You better.” Then the line went dead.

He shrugged. Well, that was easy.

-

I touched his hand that was holding my face. “Well? What did he say?” he threw the phone on the bed and came to me. “What? I really can’t remember.” then he kissed me again, and I felt him smile against my lips. But when one of his hands started gripping my hair, I felt the mood shift. 

At that kiss, I felt something melt inside that hurt in an exquisite way – all my longings, all my dreams and sweet anguish, all the secrets that slept within me awake. Everything was transformed into something enchanted. Everything made sense.

The room was dim, despite the early hours of the day and he slowly lay me down on the bed, still in the kiss and took off his shirt. 

It’s obvious we won’t be having a word said for the meantime.


           Part II:

The maelstrom. The maelstrom inside me is beating the living shit out of me. I drew the covers higher up to my chin. That was the most glorious mistake – that doesn’t feel much like a mistake – in my entire life.

Sky sat up, his chest bare and he ruffled his already messy hair. For one second, he gazed practically nowhere then he looked at me.

To be honest, he looked adorably disheveled.

He started smiling slowly and I can’t help but smile myself, then I covered my face with the blanket. I started giggling. He said amusedly while chuckling, “What’s supposed to be funny?”

“You should ask yourself.” I answered right back. Then he asked me, “Wait, you’re 17, right?”

I looked up at him and gave him a withered look. “I’ll be 18 in less than a month. Just a few more weeks.”

“All the same, you’re still 17.” He grinned at me. I can’t help smiling back. “You look as if that’s no big problem.” 

“Few weeks.” he shrugged. “Little difference. And, oh wait. Was that your first?”

That. Was. Insulting.  Oh, no. Wait, you’re getting the wrong idea. Intrusive is the word. Yes, intrusive.

I sat up as fast as lightning, pushing him off the bed. “Get out, you stupid – ”

“Hey! I was asking! Politely, mind you.”

“I don’t give a damn.”

He laughed loudly as he took hold of my hands and kissed each of my fingers.

“Your face could compete with a tomato, Ryne.” I shot him daggers but then he grinned. “You’re beautiful.”

Aargh. I blushed deeper. “Thanks.” I said begrudgingly. He just laughed louder in response, then shifted closer to me, pulling his arms around me and burying his head on my hair. He started raining kisses on my head.

“You’re such a romantic git.” I chuckled.

“One of my best qualities.” he said, pulling away and winking at me. I asked, “So what did he say, really?”

“Your grandfather?”

“No. My gardener, Sky. Really.”

“Oh! Of course, how stupid of me.” then he pulled my chin up and kissed me.

I laughingly pulled away. This guy must be part British, part cannibal. “God, I want to know! I’m dying here.” he shook his head, a sparkle in his eyes. “Since you’re dying, okay then. It was gloriously short and full of…stuff.”

“What stuff?”

“You know, he short of lashed out at me – ”

“He what?”

“Lashed out at me.” he replied, shrugging. “It seemed like he knew it was going to happen sometime – ”

“And then? What else did he – ”

“Relax, Ryne. Your grandfather doesn’t just rip someone’s head off.”

“It’s just that…he sounded really…tough.” But that doesn’t just cover it; I don’t think there’s even a word to describe him, to be frank.

“He just said to bring you to him and – ”

“What? When?”

“Stop shooting questions at me!” he gently kissed my temple. “Just one at a time, my dear.”
“When?”

He grabbed the phone that dropped to the floor when we…you know. You can use your imagination, can’t you? Yes, you can.

Sky checked it for a moment and his head came up to me sharply. “Tomorrow.”

What?!

“Tomorrow? Let me see – ”

“No! I’m sure it’s tomorrow. You don’t have to see.” he protested, putting the phone away from my reach. 

“If there’s nothing wrong then why aren’t you – ”

“There’s a bit of a, uhm – ”

“Lashing out?” I guessed, raising an eyebrow. He nodded his head yes, and my eyes clouded in nervous thinking. Tomorrow.

Why does it have to be so soon?

“Hey.” Sky came to me and settled me on his lap easily. “I’m sure it would be okay. There’s nothing to worry about; they all love you, you know.”

“They? You actually met them?”

He pursed his lips then he answered, “Yes, I did.” I bit my lip, thinking further. “The file doesn’t say much about my grandfather.” I turned to him and continued speaking, “What does he look like?”

His gaze turned to one of deep comprehension. “He must’ve been handsome once. Just imagine George Clooney being a lot older. Lots older, then you have your grandpa. They even have the same name.” he mused.

“Lots?” I repeated. “Is he that old?”

He shook his head vigorously as he said hastily, “No, no. It’s more like, when you look into his face, you know he has it hard. And no white hair. Only grey. So you can breathe.”

“I wasn’t thinking of that! But anyway. Is he tall? Intimidating? Moderately intimidating? Extremely intimidating?

“Extremely, yes. And he’s tall.”

I gave a low whistle. “He must be really something.” He grinned. “Oh, yes. He is.”

“So what about my cousins?” I continued asking as I relaxed my body against his, my head on the crook on his neck. He replied, “Your cousins. Which one? Alexa?”

“Let’s start with her.” I was attentively listening even as I took hold of his hand and started tracing the lines of his palm. “Alexa is the brainy one. She’s every inch a Cavanagh.”

“What do you mean, Captain Obvious?”

“She is uhm, regal, in a way. Your grandfather said that with strangers, she could be aloof but with family and friends, she could be quite fun. Long hair, brainy, average height.”

I blinked as I took it all in. I wonder if she’s going to be aloof when I’m with her. To divert myself from troubling thoughts, I asked another question, “And Colleen? Is she uhmm, the outgoing cousin or something?”

“Hardly. You could say that she jokes quite a lot. And she’s kind of loud, but she definitely prefers indoors.”

“How do you know?” I said, eyeing him.

“She told me she never used a paddle in her life.”

Whoa. A smile started showing on my face. “I think we’ll go along well.” he laughed at that, and then surprisingly, he rubbed the tip of his nose to mine. I love it when he does that. “Perhaps.” He paused right there, still looking at my eyes closely. He said, “I feel weird; I remember thinking about you in the middle of the night after we went shopping. You were pestering my mind, I should say.”

I laughed. “My mom used to say – I mean my mother Leia. She used to say that if you can’t get someone out of your head, maybe they’re supposed to be there. Even if they are pestering.”

He smiled. “Mmm.” was his only reply as he kissed both of my wrists before moving to my mouth. When I finally pulled back to breathe air, I asked. “How are going to get to them tomorrow?” 

“We have a plan.”

             I laughed when he wasted no time and began nuzzling my ear. “Okay, Captain La Brea.” As the afternoon sun began to dip down on the horizon, I should’ve known right then and there that things don’t really go to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment